Friday, January 21, 2005

More snow

Like a lot of places in this part of the continent, Windsor is currently bracing for a pretty heavy snow dump. For me this is inconvenient, since I had planned on going out of town for a good chunk of the day tomorrow and would rather not be driving on snow and ice covered highways. (Even with the new Hummer-like abilities my car now has with snow tires).

But, before I complain too much about this, I should also take a minute to remember the fond memories of snow I have. Most from growing up in Orillia, which gets just a lot more snow than we do here.

Those of you playing the home game will remember that for a few years when I was in high school, I was a ski instructor. I trust I don't have to go into too much detail about how nice a good dump of snow was there. This was especially true early or late in the season, since it meant either an earlier start or later finish to the season.

Also, all throughout grade school in Orillia a major dump of snow brought with it the possibility of a snow day. A great little unscheduled vacation. One of those in particular stands out for me.

DevilBoy's dad was the principal of my high school for most of the years I spent there. This both had perks (access to the school, even when it was closed) and drawbacks (at least one teacher hated me because of my friendship with the princepal's son).

Anyway, this day didn't start off as a snow day, merely a day where it was snowing rather heavily. Not enough had fallen by the time it was time to leave for school, so, everyone had to show up. But the talk in the halls was all about the storm and how the school would certainly have to be closed any minute now. At any time we expected the closure to be broadcast over the school's intercom system.

In home room, we stood for the national anthem and then the principal (DevilBoy's dad) came on the intercom and read the morning's announcements is his distinct British accent. He concluded with "There will be no snow day today! Simcoe County Board of Education policy does not allow snow days!"

The school day progressed, and DevilBoy's dad made announcements of that type a couple more times. The storm ignored him, and the Simcoe County Board of Education policy and continued to pile higher and higher and the roads got worse and worse. A large number of students were bused into my high school (not me), so this was a matter of some importance.

After lunch DevilBoy's dad came on the PA system one last time...

"I realize that I said before that there wouldn't be a snow day. This was not entirely correct..."

Just how cold is it?

At my house:

Where I grew up:

Where my brother (The communicator) is:

 

Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:

email:

Powered by NotifyList.com

or get the Atom feed of my blog here

Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

Creative
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.