Sunday, December 12, 2004

Snow

It snowed here overnight in temperate temperate Windsor. It's not the first snow of the year, but it's the first substantial snow. Previous efforts were more light dustings. Snow that didn't even fully cover the grass and lasted less than a day.

When I woke up this morning and looked out the window my first thought was "Oh my God, my car's been stolen!!"

"Wait... No... It's still there, just hard to see as it's white, as is everything else... Wow! Snow!"

It takes me a while to get coherent in the morning.

Now, this is still pretty minor so far as snow goes, even in Windsor, which doesn't seem to get that much. Also for Toronto, which gets about the same amount of snow as Windsor, just doesn't deal with it very well.

I've been through some heavy snows. One of the more memorable ones was in the aforementioned Toronto... It was about 80 cm (over 30 inches) of snow over a couple of days. In and of itself that's not that bad, but Toronto doesn't really have the equipment to deal with that much snow, nor anyplace to put it.

I woke up that morning and found that the world was white and the wind currents behind my house had apparently caused a snow drift to form around my car. Also, the parking lot immediately behind my house had found it convenient to blow their snow into my driveway. I was not overly impressed.

I valiantly (and vainly) tried to get to work anyway. First, I dug out my car as my idiot roommates watched from inside the warm house. I say idiot roommates because they had actually buried it as a joke the night before and instead of helping me dig it out they were amusing themselves by watching me struggle with it. (Ha. Ha. Ha. Idiots) Then once that was done, I made an effort to get through the mammoth pile of snow the innept parking lot people had left. One man and a shovel wasn't going to cut it. Today I'd call the lot management and berate them until someone came to fix that, but for some reason I didn't think of it that day.

I called into work that I wasn't going to make it in. It was just as well, really, I'd have been practically alone if I had shown up.

Toronto had to call in the army to help dig out of that snow, but eventually things got back to normal. It was a bit smoother here today. The snow melted by itself by sundown.


Just how cold is it?

At my house:

Where I grew up:

Where my brother (The communicator) is:

 

Join my Notify List and get email when I update my site:

email:

Powered by NotifyList.com

or get the Atom feed of my blog here

Is my Blog HOT or NOT?

Creative
Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.